Thursday, March 22, 2012

error: 26 - error locating server/instance specified

My machine is WinXP with SP2. I installed SQL Server 2005 Developer
Edition on my machine last week, and I could bring up the Microsoft
SQL Server Management Studio fine, no error.
Today in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio when I tried to
connect to machinename\SQL2005 (the SQL 2005 instance), I got the
error:
"An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server.
when connecting to sql server 2005, this failure may be caused by the
fact that under the default settings sql server does not allow remote
connections. (provider: sql network interfaces, error: 26 - error
locating server/instance specified)(microsoft sql server)"
But, I am not trying to connect to it remotely, the SQL Server 2005 is
on my machine.
In the Start >> Programs >> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 >> Configuration
Tools >> SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration >> Surface Area
Configuration for Services and connections
"Local and remote connections" is not selected.
How can I fix this problem ?
Thank you.
Never mind.
On the "Server name", i click on Browse more and select the instance
from there, I guess the machinename is different today than last week.
So, I selected that one and now it works.
THanks
On Jun 10, 1:25 pm, fiefie.ni...@.gmail.com wrote:
> My machine is WinXP with SP2. I installed SQL Server 2005 Developer
> Edition on my machine last week, and I could bring up the Microsoft
> SQL Server Management Studio fine, no error.
> Today in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio when I tried to
> connect to machinename\SQL2005 (the SQL 2005 instance), I got the
> error:
> "An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server.
> when connecting to sql server 2005, this failure may be caused by the
> fact that under the default settings sql server does not allow remote
> connections. (provider: sql network interfaces, error: 26 - error
> locating server/instance specified)(microsoft sql server)"
> But, I am not trying to connect to it remotely, the SQL Server 2005 is
> on my machine.
> In the Start >> Programs >> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 >> Configuration
> Tools >> SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration >> Surface Area
> Configuration for Services and connections
> "Local and remote connections" is not selected.
> How can I fix this problem ?
> Thank you.
|||On Jun 10, 1:27 pm, fiefie.ni...@.gmail.com wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]
> Never mind.
> On the "Server name", i click on Browse more and select the instance
> from there, I guess the machinename is different today than last week.
> So, I selected that one and now it works.
> THanks
> On Jun 10, 1:25 pm, fiefie.ni...@.gmail.com wrote:
>
>
I get the same error. Please advise.
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment