Thursday, March 29, 2012

Error: Forward dependencies are not valid

I want to set a Report Parameter on a field. The Report Parameter is called 'filter'. In the statement I put the Report Parameter in the WHERE-part:
WHERE ([DatabaseName$TableName].[FieldName] = @.filter). After this I set the 'Available values' on the Report Parameter in the lay-out to Non-queried.
When the report is running, no problems.

But.....

Now I want to set 'Available values' on 'From Query' and refer to the data set, so the user can choose on which value he want to filter. But now, after running the preview the following error displays:
Error1[rsInvalidReportParameterDependency]The report parameter ‘filter’ has a DefaultValue or a ValidValue that depends on the report parameter “filter”. Forward dependencies are not valid.

Why can't I set the Report Parameter to 'From Query'? Anyone any suggestions?

(you can see the rest of my statement here: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1098540&SiteID=1)

Thx a lot of helping me out with this topic.....

Hi,

If I get it right, you have a dataset that you want to filter by a parameter 'FILTER' and the possible values for the filter also from the same dataset?

This is not possible since if you are requesting the possible values for the filter he will execute the query in the dataset. Since this dataset requires a parameter filter to be able to execute, you are having a loop.

What you should do is to make the 'From Query' property refer to a different dataset.

NOTE: Reporting Services first performs the queries in the same order as the Parameters have been set. Therefor, if the dataset of a given parameter needs the value of a second parameter, you need to make sure that this second parameter is standing above the first parameter in the parameter list.

Greetz,

Geert

Geert Verhoeven
Consultant @. Ausy Belgium

My Personal Blog

|||

Geert,

thx for your support. I've found a solution for my specific situation. I will drop it here for others with the same problem:

1. Report Parameter, Available non-queried.
- At Label I've filled in the options that I want to see in the pulldown menu.
- At Value I've filled in the values form my table (in this case only 4 or 5)
2. At the table properties, tab filtering I've made a filterlist called
- expression: =Fields!FieldName.Value
- operator: '='
- value : =Parameters!ParameterName.Value

This solution is only usefull if you don't have too much options to choose (because you have to fill in all the options manually..... )

No comments:

Post a Comment