Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Error with SQL Server 2K5 "Cannot connect... Instance failure"

I am getting the following error when trying to connect to SQL Server
2005 Express through Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
CTP.
"Cannot connect to SERVER\SQLEXPRESS
Additional Information:
Instance Failure. (System.Data)"
One thing I noticed, the "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service is set to
start automatically yet, it wasn't started. I tried to start it, but
kept receiving a message that the service was started and then stop for
a rerason along the lines "if a service isn't need, it stops itself".
So...
I stopped the following services and restarted them:
MSSQL$SHAREPOINT
MSSQLSERVER
SQL Server Browser
and it finally let me start "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)" !!
After stopping and starting the 4 services above, it let me in again.
This is the 3rd time this has happened to me. Anyone have any ideas?Hi
This sounds like you are using a user instance?
This may help
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...>
userinst.asp
What is the exact error number and message in the SQL Server log?
John
"ATJaguarX" wrote:

> I am getting the following error when trying to connect to SQL Server
> 2005 Express through Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
> CTP.
> "Cannot connect to SERVER\SQLEXPRESS
>
> Additional Information:
> Instance Failure. (System.Data)"
>
> One thing I noticed, the "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service is set to
> start automatically yet, it wasn't started. I tried to start it, but
> kept receiving a message that the service was started and then stop for
> a rerason along the lines "if a service isn't need, it stops itself".
> So...
>
> I stopped the following services and restarted them:
>
> MSSQL$SHAREPOINT
> MSSQLSERVER
> SQL Server Browser
>
> and it finally let me start "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)" !!
>
> After stopping and starting the 4 services above, it let me in again.
> This is the 3rd time this has happened to me. Anyone have any ideas?
>|||I am not sure if I am running a user instance. I have yet to design an
application to hit my database, I have only been logging into the
management tool.
My error logs are all empty. Is there something I need to do to turn
these on?|||Hi
If you had a user instance the database would only be attached when it was
connected to.
You can use SSEUtil to connect to the instance.
John
"ATJaguarX" wrote:

> I am not sure if I am running a user instance. I have yet to design an
> application to hit my database, I have only been logging into the
> management tool.
> My error logs are all empty. Is there something I need to do to turn
> these on?
>

No comments:

Post a Comment