Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Error with setup of SQL Server 2005 Express

I had Beta 2 of Visual Studio 2005 installed on my computer until the recent release. I followed the uninstall instructions in order, then installed the available 2005 Express editions. Each install showed an error when installing SQL Server 2005 Express.
I attempted to install SQL Server 2005 from a fresh download, and it indicated that there were still beta components on the computer. I downloaded and ran the VS Beta Uninstall tool, which did find one component (SQL Server 2005 Express CTP), but it has an error while trying to uninstall it. The message is:
The setup has encountered an unexpected error in datastore. The action is RestoreSetupParams. The error is :Failed to read property "Installds" {"MachineConfiguration", "", [computer name snipped]} from cache
Unable to write property into cache IsClustered
Unable to write property into cache "IsClustered"
XmlRw Error: Failure loading xmlrw.dll
CheckAllProcedures() returned: 2
It should be noted that no VS or SQL products are currently installed on my machine (I uninstalled the new Express releases), and none show up in the Add/Remove Programs list. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same thing happen. Cannot install the new SQL Server 2005 on my systems either.

Cannot install SQL Server 2005 as it says there are remaining beta/CTP products that are not compatible. Tried running the vs_uninst_betas.exe. This had errors with the one reamaining product found of SQL Server Express Edition CTP.

The setup has encountered an unexpected error in datastore. The is RestoreSetupParams. The error is :Failed to read "Installlds" {MachineConfiguration", "", "name"} FRON CACHE

Unable to write property into cache: IsClustered

XMLRW Error: Failure loading xmlrw.dll CheckAllProcedures() returned: 2

This is the first error

Click Ok

The second error is also datastore. The action is Write_CommitFlag. The is :Unable to write property into cache:flagCommit

Unable to write property into cache: "flagCommit"

XmlRW Error: Failure loading xmlrw.dll CheckAllProcedures() returned: 2

Matt Porter wrote:

I had Beta 2 of Visual Studio 2005 installed on my computer until the recent release. I followed the uninstall instructions in order, then installed the available 2005 Express editions. Each install showed an error when installing SQL Server 2005 Express.

I attempted to install SQL Server 2005 from a fresh download, and it indicated that there were still beta components on the computer. I downloaded and ran the VS Beta Uninstall tool, which did find one component (SQL Server 2005 Express CTP), but it has an error while trying to uninstall it. The message is:

The setup has encountered an unexpected error in datastore. The action is RestoreSetupParams. The error is :Failed to read property "Installds" {"MachineConfiguration", "", [computer name snipped]} from cache
Unable to write property into cache IsClustered
Unable to write property into cache "IsClustered"
XmlRw Error: Failure loading xmlrw.dll
CheckAllProcedures() returned: 2

It should be noted that no VS or SQL products are currently installed on my machine (I uninstalled the new Express releases), and none show up in the Add/Remove Programs list. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

|||Okay, I found other problems now. :) Several of the files in subdirectories of the Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server folder were not able to be deleted. I rebooted in safe mode, and voila! the entire SQL Server folder was able to be deleted from Program Files. Unfortunately, this only results in a new error message when attempting to uninstall; a dialog box entitled "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express CTP" pops up with the message:
0:Watson 1:1807 2:StreamSupportFiles
3:getBootStrapDirectory 4:3
5:t:\yukon\sql\setup\darwin\sqlcastub\catarget.cpp
6:93 7:sqlcastub.dll 8:sqlrun.msi
Looks like arguments of some sort. Anyway, when I hit OK, a new box informs me that "A valid destination folder for the install could not be determined." (Since I deleted it, I'm guessing that's a valid observation.)
So it's looking like the (remaining) culprits are 1) miscellaneous unknown files in some portion of the Windows folder, or 2) unknown keys scattered throughout the registry. If anyone knows which/where, I'd appreciate the help. Meanwhile, I'll be poring through my registry looking for any offending entries.
|||It looks like the problem is now solved. I downloaded and ran the Microsoft Windows Install Clean Up program ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301 ), and sure enough, it found remnants of the CTP version of SQL Server Express. I removed those through the program and retried vs_uninst_betas.exe, which found no components of beta products. I then ran the SQL Server 2005 Express installer, which also detected no components from beta products. Now I just have to reinstall all the other Express products...
|||Thanks for this! I had the exact same problem and searched and tried for several days. This thread has been extremely helpful - the MS Windows Install Clean Up utility finally did it. Thanks! |||

Whoa!!

Now i wish i had come across this thread much before i tried uninstalling and installing the previous versions again and doing a clean uninstall of those previous versions, to no avail.

Spent a week on this but the Setup Cleanup Tool did that job in seconds.. and all of it in just a 185 KB download..

Thanks!!

Sreenath H B

|||

Thanks For the super information. Unfortunately I did not read the Cleanup utility and I was only installing the routine. After I finally read the instructions and ran it did it remove the offending entries. Does any one undestand why not all of the routines installed appear on the list. Are they only problem entries?

Thanks Jerry

|||

That fixed it. SQL Server install without issue after running the utility. Thanks for the great find - I was really frustrated.

|||

I'm getting the same error of "A valid destination folder for the install could not be determined." I don't have a copy of SQL 2005 installed on this server. Has anyone run across this on a clean install?

Thanks

|||

This Cleanup program looks like a really good general tool.

Thanks,

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment