Sunday, March 11, 2012

Error: [DBNETLIB]ConnectionCheckForData

I have gotten an error, which appears to be a query optimizer bug:
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionCheckForD
ata
(CheckforData()).
Server: Msg 11, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
General network error. Check your network documentation.
Connection Broken
I admit that the query is a bit complex -- it joins three tables and uses a
view -- but it is perfect okay. If I make minor, irrelevant, changes to the
syntax it works. For example, the failing query contains WHERE TBL_D.sold_to
= 60414; if I change this to WHERE TBL_D.sold_to BETWEEN 60414 and 60414 the
n
the query works. It returns in a few seconds with 5 rows. Also, if I change
the query to say INNER LOOP JOIN instead of INNER JOIN then it will work
correctly.
Running dbcc checktable on the tables shows no error.
The query is generated by a Report Generator, so I cannot just make manual
changes to it; the only thing I can do is to find out the underlying cause.
I
am running SQL Server 2000 version 8.00.760 (Intel X86) (Build 2195: Servic
e
Pack 4).
Has anyone seen this kind of error, or aware of any patch that will fix it?Tycus,
This sounds like a problem in your networking hardware or configuration
somewhere. Look at your network interface settings - especially duplex
settings. Sometimes setting the NICs to Auto duples causes these errors
(sometimes they don't).
Is there anything further in the SQL Server error log? Stack dumps? Once
you've checked your networking components, and you still get the error, rais
e
a call with Microsoft Product Support.
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.markallison.co.uk
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602m.html
"Tycus" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> I have gotten an error, which appears to be a query optimizer bug:
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionCheckFo
rData
> (CheckforData()).
> Server: Msg 11, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
> General network error. Check your network documentation.
> Connection Broken
> I admit that the query is a bit complex -- it joins three tables and uses
a
> view -- but it is perfect okay. If I make minor, irrelevant, changes to th
e
> syntax it works. For example, the failing query contains WHERE TBL_D.sold_
to
> = 60414; if I change this to WHERE TBL_D.sold_to BETWEEN 60414 and 60414 t
hen
> the query works. It returns in a few seconds with 5 rows. Also, if I chang
e
> the query to say INNER LOOP JOIN instead of INNER JOIN then it will work
> correctly.
> Running dbcc checktable on the tables shows no error.
> The query is generated by a Report Generator, so I cannot just make manual
> changes to it; the only thing I can do is to find out the underlying cause
. I
> am running SQL Server 2000 version 8.00.760 (Intel X86) (Build 2195: Serv
ice
> Pack 4).
> Has anyone seen this kind of error, or aware of any patch that will fix it?[/vbcol
]

No comments:

Post a Comment