Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 16

I receive the following two errors in the sql log.
2006-10-16 08:47:06.33 Logon Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 16.
2006-10-16 08:47:06.33 Logon Login failed for user 'domain\user'.
[CLIENT: <named pipe>]
And the following in the windows event log.
Login failed for user 'domain\user'. [CLIENT: <named pipe>]
I have replaced my domain and user name with domain\user above. The problem
I am seeing is that if my service starts right after sql server 2005 says it
s
ready I get the following errors above. If I manually start my service
several seconds later I'm ok. Looking through the sql log it says the db and
everything is up and ready before the login actually takes place. However,
the tempdb does not get ready until after. Probably the cause of the problem
.
Is there a reason why the tempdb is not made to be 'ready' before sql server
says its ready? Any workarounds other than putting in a delay?
Thanks,
BruceHi,
are you sure that the service user has to appropiate rights on the
server to create the tempdb as a service user in the folder for the
temp db ?
HTH, Jens K. Suessmeyer.
http://www.sqlserver2005.de
--|||It seems to be a timing issue. I can start sql and then quickly start my
service. My service waits for the sql service to be in the 'running' state
before continuing. However, eventhough SQL says its running (per the logs
too) the tempdb not being completed seems to be an issue.
So basically it appears to be a timing issue. SQL Server should be not be
saying its ready when it is still working on the tempdb.

No comments:

Post a Comment