Sunday, February 26, 2012

Error with Execute sql task and full result set: " not been initialized before calling

This is the first time I've tried creating an "execute sql task" with a "full result set".

I've read in the documentation that I must set the resultname to 0, which is done, and that the variable must be of type object. Also done.

[Execute SQL Task] Error: Executing the query "select * from blah" failed with the following error: "The SelectCommand property has not been initialized before calling 'Fill'.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

Has anyone else had success with a full result set?

Thanks,
-Lori

Yes. I have an example doing exactly this here:

SSIS Nugget: Execute SQL Task into an object variable - Shred it with a Foreach loop
(http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson/archive/2005/07/04/1748.aspx)

-Jamie

|||Jamie,

The variable *is* of type Object (i believe i mentioned that).
Since this fails, I cannot move forward with the foreach loop.

I'm using 64bit sql server but debugging in Run64BitRuntime as False.

Any other ideas?

-Lori|||

lorijean44 wrote:

Jamie,

The variable *is* of type Object (i believe i mentioned that).

Yes you did. You also asked if anyone else has had any success which I have and was giving you a downloadable example of it working which I thought might be useful to you.

lorijean44 wrote:


Since this fails, I cannot move forward with the foreach loop.

I'm using 64bit sql server but debugging in Run64BitRuntime as False.

Any other ideas?

-Lori

Afraid not. Without being there its hard to say what the problem might be.

Regards

-Jamie

|||I noticed that you said in your blog, "just update the connection to point to your sql server". I thought I should mention that I'm actually trying to run this against a mysql server, with an ADO.net connection. I don't think that should matter, but who knows?

I'll play around and see if it works against a SQL Server just to try it.|||Yep, works great against a sql server (OLE DB Connection).

I will then update my question to be:
has anyone gotten a full result set to work with an ADO.net connection?|||

lorijean44 wrote:

I noticed that you said in your blog, "just update the connection to point to your sql server". I thought I should mention that I'm actually trying to run this against a mysql server, with an ADO.net connection. I don't think that should matter, but who knows?

I'll play around and see if it works against a SQL Server just to try it.

I'd bevery surprised if that was anything to do with it but who knows - give it a try.

Also note that my example used OLE DB Connection Manager rather than ADO.Net. That could be an avenue of investigation also.

-Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment